harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib/legal?] Re: Downloading dependencies
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:07:00 GMT

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> What are you voting against, exactly?
>>
>> I don't grok why this is a problem.  You'll download the jars *once*
>> (until a version changes), and with the exception of the MSVC runtime
>> dll, it's automated for you.
>
> [Just explaining my position, not trying to change your mind].

You won't. We just don't redistribute other people's software from the
ASF infrastructure.

> I'm mainly voting against having our trunk dependent on remote
> (non-Apache) sites availability.

We're not dependent upon the site.  The download is a convenience.  You
could just as easily fetch it manually and put it in depends/jars

> For example, what if libXYZ-1.02.jar
> became unavailable tomorrow (assuming the trunk depended on it)?  Maybe
> Harmony is the only project using it, and the author went bankrupt, or
> more likely, lost his site because he/she graduated from school, and
> that person wasn't aware Harmony used his/her open-source stuff.  I'll
> let it to your imagination to come up with other likely scenarios.

The first one isn't likely at all.  We don't choose are dependencies
lightly or randomly.

If we thought a dependency was flaky, we'd get a snapshot of the code as
insurance.

But we really want that our external dependencies are just that -
external - so we don't have to do it ourselves.  We're lazy.

For example, we're going to do a distro dependnent on this "sablevm.jar"
thing.  What if harmony was the only project using it?  or the author
went bankrupt, or - more likely - lost his site because he/she got their
PhD and graduated from school..... :)

>  In
> such case, our trunk would break.  I don't see how temporarily re-(?)
> "distributing" open-source stuff is a problem, but I'm not a lawyer, so
> I'll trust Apache's lawyers on this.
>
> Yet, I'll admit that the build system is dealing with this issue in a
> rather clean way, in that a separate ant file is used for the download,
> and the main build file does not depend on downloading from remote sites.

Ok...

> And just as a note: I have no problem living in democracy, and not
> always being on the majority side.  A few discussions here and there are
> key to coming up with better ideas, as long as discussions remain
> civilized. :-)

Ok.  So are you against having the external dependency, or having an
external dependency for which we don't have a jar in svn or the website?
  if the latter, I'd want to have source too, as the binary is pretty
useless over time...

geir

geir