harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Downloading dependencies
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 03:02:32 GMT

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> I don't consider being able to do an online build of any historical
>> version that important.  Because our releases will be archived, any
>> dependencies included in the build will be archived on the mirror
>> system, so any build should be reproducable.
>
> Mainly, I would be in favor of "also" storing the dependencies of the
> *head* trunk revision somewhere on the web site or ftp site, for
> practical reasons (simplifying the life of contributors to the trunk).
> Yet, as this is an old and settled subject, I won't push the discussion
> forward.

It's an issue of re-distribution.  The ASF doesn't redistribute other
people's code except as parts of a full product distribution.

> I'll simply cast a modest retroactive "-1 vote" on this issue, for what
> it's worth.

What are you voting against, exactly?

I don't grok why this is a problem.  You'll download the jars *once*
(until a version changes), and with the exception of the MSVC runtime
dll, it's automated for you.