harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: matching reference implementation exception behaviour
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:29:02 GMT
Alex Orlov wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry to getting this thread back - hopefully this message is relevant
> to it. We've written a tool that runs all J2SE API methods passing
> null, empty strings, 0, -1 etc. as parameters. It has discovered 163
> inconsistency of Harmony API implementation with BEA JRockit 1.5.0.
> You can find them attached ("------------" means JRE doesn't throw any
> exception).
>
> I haven't investigated all of them yet. However apparently we have
> dozens of real inconsistencies that might be fixed according to
> Harmony guidelines on exception compatibility. We're going to check
> the inconsistencies one by one. Do you think it makes sense to open
> one JIRA issue for all of them and put it there?

Probably makes sense to group them into either one type (where there are
a few issues for a given type) or one module rather than all together,
since I'm assuming that would be too big when you have included the
proposed fix and test case (hint, hint) ;-)

Regards,
Tim

	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	--------------------------
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextServicesSupport.hasService(null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextServicesSupport.removeBeanContextServicesListener(null)
	--------------------------	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextServicesSupport.serviceAvailable(null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextServicesSupport.serviceRevoked(null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.addAll(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException
	 java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.getResource("", null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.getResource(null, null) 	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.getResourceAsStream("", null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.getResourceAsStream(null, null) 	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.beancontext.BeanContextSupport.vetoableChange(null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.Beans.isInstanceOf(java.lang.Object, null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException
	--------------------------
>> java.beans.Encoder.getPersistenceDelegate(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException
	--------------------------
>> java.beans.Encoder.setPersistenceDelegate(null, null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.Encoder.writeExpression(null) 	--------------------------	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.FeatureDescriptor.setValue("", null) 	--------------------------	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.FeatureDescriptor.setValue(null, java.lang.Object) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.FeatureDescriptor.setValue(null, null) 	--------------------------	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.PropertyEditorManager.findEditor(null) 	--------------------------	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.PropertyEditorManager.registerEditor(null, null) 	--------------------------
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.beans.SimpleBeanInfo.loadImage("") 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	--------------------------
>> java.beans.SimpleBeanInfo.loadImage(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	--------------------------
>> java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.toString("") 	 java.nio.charset.IllegalCharsetNameException
	 java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException
>> java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write([B, 0, -1) 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
> [...]
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuffer.offsetByCodePoints(-1, -1) 	 org.apache.harmony.luni.util.NotYetImplementedException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuffer.setLength(-1) 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append([C, 0, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append([C, -1, 0) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append([C, -1, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append(null, 0, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append(null, -1, 0) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.append(null, -1, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.appendCodePoint(0) 	 org.apache.harmony.luni.util.NotYetImplementedException
	--------------------------
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.appendCodePoint(-1) 	 org.apache.harmony.luni.util.NotYetImplementedException
	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.insert(0, null, 0, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.insert(0, null, -1, 0) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.insert(0, null, -1, -1) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.lang.StringBuilder.insert(-1, ) 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.net.DatagramSocket.bind(null) 	 java.net.BindException 	 java.net.SocketException
>> java.net.MulticastSocket.setInterface(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	 java.net.SocketException
>> java.net.URLDecoder.decode("", "") 	--------------------------	 java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.addPathToName(0, [B) 	 org.apache.harmony.security.asn1.ASN1Exception
	 java.io.IOException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.addPathToName(-1, null) 	 java.io.IOException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.addSubjectAlternativeName(0, [B) 	 org.apache.harmony.security.asn1.ASN1Exception
	 java.io.IOException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.addSubjectAlternativeName(-1, null) 	 java.io.IOException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.setNameConstraints([B) 	 org.apache.harmony.security.asn1.ASN1Exception
	 java.io.IOException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.setSubjectPublicKey([B) 	 org.apache.harmony.security.asn1.ASN1Exception
	 java.io.IOException
>> java.security.cert.X509CertSelector.setSubjectPublicKeyAlgID("") 	 java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.NumberFormatException
> [...]
 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.text.DecimalFormat.formatToCharacterIterator(null) 	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.text.SimpleDateFormat.formatToCharacterIterator(null) 	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> java.util.ArrayList.addAll(-1, null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.ArrayList.get(-1) 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.ArrayList.remove(-1) 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.ArrayList.set(-1, java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.ArrayList.set(-1, null) 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.Date.parse(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
>> java.util.jar.Attributes.putAll(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	 java.lang.ClassCastException
>> java.util.LinkedList.addAll(-1, null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException 	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.TreeMap.containsKey(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeMap.get(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeMap.put(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException
	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeMap.put(java.lang.Object, null) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeMap.remove(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeSet.add(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeSet.contains(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.TreeSet.remove(java.lang.Object) 	 java.lang.ClassCastException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.Vector.lastIndexOf(java.lang.Object, 0) 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.Vector.lastIndexOf(null, 0) 	 java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
	 java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
>> java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate([B) 	 java.util.zip.DataFormatException 	--------------------------
>> java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate([B, 0, 0) 	 java.util.zip.DataFormatException 	--------------------------
>> javax.naming.InitialContext.composeName("", null) 	 javax.naming.InvalidNameException
	--------------------------
>> javax.naming.InitialContext.composeName(null, "") 	 javax.naming.InvalidNameException
	--------------------------
>> javax.naming.InitialContext.composeName(null, null) 	 javax.naming.InvalidNameException
	--------------------------
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.extendedOperation(null) 	 javax.naming.NotContextException
	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.newInstance([Ljavax.naming.ldap.Control;)
javax.naming.NotContextException 	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.newInstance(null) 	 javax.naming.NotContextException
	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.reconnect([Ljavax.naming.ldap.Control;) 	 javax.naming.NotContextException
	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.reconnect(null) 	 javax.naming.NotContextException
	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.setRequestControls([Ljavax.naming.ldap.Control;)
	 javax.naming.NotContextException 	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.setRequestControls(null) 	 javax.naming.NotContextException
	 javax.naming.NoInitialContextException
>> javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult.setSystemId(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException
>> javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource.setSystemId(null) 	 java.lang.NullPointerException

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.