harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Der Plan
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:57:52 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> I think a more formal project plan (release plan?) would be great. It would
> be nice to have a regular snapshot/milestone build to be pushing towards.
> The Xerces-J project does something similar with their releases [1].
> Although not quite the same, the intent is similar and the communication to
> the community is very helpful.

Totally agree. A heartbeat milestone plan will be very helpful, and
maybe I am too aggressive, but IMHO, it is also good time start to
discuss a little long-term roadmap(as what the Harmony website says;-)
), especially considering we have got two VMs and a dozen of classlib
components in SVN. What I mean about roadmap may be like: when can
Harmony binaries can support Tomcat, or Geronimo, etc, when to meet 30%,
50%, 80%, 100% JSE 5 API coverage, when to open Java 6 development
branch (if we shall), etc.
> The items that are out on the Wiki now look good to me. I think enabling
> Java 5 syntax, establishing a test architecture and a general focus on
> getting a repeatable build system are good initial steps.

Agree. A stable infrastructure like build system/code layout/test
framework/etc is very important to development. Hopefully we can get the
consensus asap.
> The next obvious major focus for the class library is attaining Java 5
> compliance, especially since Java 6 is quickly coming down the pipe. Perhaps
> the later iterations can have a module-specific focus for closing the gaps.

Should we have some priority on the classlib components? After all, the
whole classlib is too big to be created in a couple of weeks(even a
couple of months or years). That's also why I think a little long term
roadmap is helpful, which can be the balance to weigh the components.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab