harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: SableVM or JCHEVM?
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2006 14:12:10 GMT
Hi Enrico,

SableVM's trunk ( svn co svn://svn.sablevm.org/sablevm/trunk ) is now
licensed under the Apache License 2.0.  As SableVM is maintained by a
number of developers, but is also used by many of my students to develop
new VM components and do research, it was deemed more appropriate not to
put SableVM in Harmony's repository for the following reasons:

1- Harmony's repository is not the appropriate place for creating many,
many branches to do academic research on VMs.

2- Keeping a clear Intellectual Property trail would be a nightmare if
SableVM's development and maintenance was spread over two distinct
repositories.

3- According to Geir, integration of the VM into Harmony's repository is
not a preriquisite for J2SE certification.

The SableVM project has chosen to integrate our VM with Harmony's class
library.  In particular, I have started with a student to implement
Harmony's VMI.  Our objective is to fully adapt SableVM to work with
Harmony's VMI "as is".  If I understand JCHEVM's approach, they are
going in a different direction; they are developing a "GNU Classpath
compatibility layer" so that Classpath-based VMs could migrate to
Harmony with little effort.

SableVM's goal is to become entirely dependent on Harmony's LUNI
packages, as we do like Harmony's VMI.  This will have the consequence
of breaking SableVM's compatibility to Classpath's LUNI packages.  Yet
we do not see this as a problem;  you will still be able to use
Classpath other packages with SableVM (awt, swing, etc.).

So, if you wish to contribute to SableVM for helping with the Harmony
integration, please join us at http://sablevm.org.  If you are
interested, we'll use the SableVM developer mailing-list to coordonate
the Harmony adaptation effort.

See below.

Enrico Migliore wrote:
> SableVM or JCHEVM?
> ------------------------
> At the moment there two virutual machines: which of the two should one
> choose to work on?

I would say:

- If you want to work on a Classpath layer => JCHEVM
- If you want to fully implement VMI => SableVM

> SableVM svn access
> I can't find the SableVM repository in the Harmony site, can somebody
> address me where to find it?

Contributing to SableVM is done in SableVM's repository at
http://sablevm.org.  I am in the process of updating our contribution
policy to better reflect the recent license change.  Yet, it retain much
of the current policy:

http://sablevm.org/svn/repository/sablevm/trunk/doc/contribution_policy.txt

You're welcome to help! :-)

Etienne