harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanket Sharma" <sanket.sha...@zensar.com>
Subject RE: Source tarballs!
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:30:23 GMT
Download a tar ball with a download manager seems to be easier, despite the size. Further,
I believe, casual developers often refrain from downloading the source as they dont know svn
tricks.
My problem is a slow network connection. I have tried downloading via svn but it just freezes
after downloading few initial files. :-(
I'm just dying to get my hands dirty with Harmony code, but couldnt do so for past few weeks.
It would be great if you guys can put up bzip/tar file.

Regards,
Sanket

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Hindess [mailto:mark.hindess@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tue 4/11/2006 4:31 PM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org; geir@pobox.com
Subject: Re: Source tarballs!

I did briefly look at adding a source snapshot to the snapshot target
but decided that trying to avoid picking up any non-source files was
too error prone and that the only reliable way to make them is to take
a clean checkout.

While looking at this, I wondered about whether the source snapshot
should include .svn directories.  Having them might be useful to get
the initial checkout that people could then update.  However, the .svn
directories do account for some 135M my harmony tree which comes to
around 18M for a "gzip -9" tar - approximately double the size.

Regards,
 Mark.

> Sanket Sharma wrote:
> > Hi..
> >
> > Can anyone put up source tarballs on the site ?
>
> Yes - we should do this in the future for our snapshots - include a src
> tarball at the same time.
>
> If no one beats me to it, I'll do one for the latest binary snapshot
> that's out there.
>
> I don't want to do one w/ HEAD as we have some regressions people are
> looking into...
>
> geir

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.