harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Long,long testcase name...
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:36:09 GMT
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:09:41PM +0700, Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/4/12, Andrew Zhang <zhanghuangzhu@gmail.com>:
> > Hello, geir,
> > Let's consider the case you mentioned.
> > I totally agree that "testRequestPasswordAuthentication1" is a BAD name,
>
> Why?

There's a whole "movement" devoted to answering that question :-)

  http://joe.truemesh.com/blog/000175.html

might be of interest. "1" implies there is a "2", but what is the difference
between "1" and "2"?

Trying at every point along the way to make code as readable and descriptive
as possible is good. Eg

  http://www.jroller.com/page/lsd/20050826#natural_language_java_is_often

So you end up with names such as

  testRequestPasswordAuthenticationThrowsAnExceptionOnNullArguments

or

  testRequestPasswordAuthenticationAcceptsSimpleJohnDoeParameters

they are painful to type, but less painful than typing javadocs, and more
likely to get read than javadocs, and likely to get read a lot more than
written. Furthermore, if you have camel case searching, you can search for
tRPA and get all the relevant bits.

LSD