harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gandara" <danielgand...@neosur.com>
Subject Re: New IBM VME
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:53:43 GMT
Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Daniel,
> The new VME is still at the 1.4 level, but with updated VM and kernel
> classes. As I have mentioned, two of the main reasons for this VME update
> was to allow for package renaming to go ahead, and also to allow String to
> be removed from the kernel, making kernel implementation easier for other
> VM providers. If there is a necessity in the future for a 1.5 VME, then
> one could be created, but currently classlib only requires 1.4.

agreed, but it is hard to think of a "current" classlib requiring 1.5 when
the available VMs are 1.4 ....  for example: we have contributed two
packages: java.math and java.rmi which are 1.5 compliant and dependent
but they are waiting at the JIRA

> I believe that while we are in a transitional phase from 1.4 to 1.5, a 1.4
> VME will suffice, and the solution that is being discussed in the
> "[classlib] Switching to a 5.0 compiler" [1] is the way to go ahead for
> the moment.

ok, I'll ask there about removing 1.5 dependencies from java.rmi and
compile it to get 1.4 bytecode...

> My hope is that in the not too distant future we may see one or two of the
> Harmony VMs stepping up to 1.5 level, and we can begin to use them with
> our classlib :)

hope so too.

Thanks,

Daniel

> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200604.mbox/%3c4433A197.8030305@gmail.com%3e
>

> Daniel Gandara wrote:
>> Oliver,
>>    pleased to hear good news from you!!  I believe this is great for the
>> project.
>> I have one question regarding the version of the VME, is it 1.5?   I'm
>> asking this
>> because we have received contributions of some packages (for example:
>> java.math
>> and java.rmi packages) which are 1.5 (compliant and dependant) but cannot
>> be
>> used with current VM.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Oliver Deakin"
>> <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com>

>>> String.intern() method in Harmony will just redirect the call to