harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: Long,long testcase name...
Date Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:27:44 GMT

[Nathan Beyer] I would argue that the code that exists in the repository is
a sufficient example and guideline. If it's not, then patches should be
submitted with rationales that validate the change.

> contributor or committer feels that a refactoring would be helpful, then
> let
> > the process work.
>

> No one would like his code changed by others ... Why not make it
> acceptable
> for everyone at the first time? It won't waste time. :)

[Nathan Beyer] Maybe I'm pessimistic, but when I write code for open source
projects I assume that my code will be changed. It isn't my code; it's the
project's code because I donated it and the project can do as it pleases
with it. If my code is committed without change, then great; if it is
changed, then that's just as great because my code was accepted and I get to
learn something.

In any case, is it realistic to think that one particular style or
convention is going to be acceptable by everyone? At some point the
acceptability of a piece of code will come down to one person's judgment and
their view of what's acceptable at that moment in time.