harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: [classlib] Der Plan
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 04:13:00 GMT
I think a more formal project plan (release plan?) would be great. It would
be nice to have a regular snapshot/milestone build to be pushing towards.
The Xerces-J project does something similar with their releases [1].
Although not quite the same, the intent is similar and the communication to
the community is very helpful.

The items that are out on the Wiki now look good to me. I think enabling
Java 5 syntax, establishing a test architecture and a general focus on
getting a repeatable build system are good initial steps.

The next obvious major focus for the class library is attaining Java 5
compliance, especially since Java 6 is quickly coming down the pipe. Perhaps
the later iterations can have a module-specific focus for closing the gaps.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xerces/java/trunk/Xerces2.8.0-R
EL_PLAN.html

-Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ellison [mailto:t.p.ellison@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 4:01 PM
To: harmony-dev
Subject: [classlib] Der Plan

Looking at our wiki pages[1], people have written a description of the
_current_ state of play for a number of class library modules.

However, with our new committers eager to get going, a growing number of
contributors, and people lurking and wondering where they can help, may
I suggest that we try and form a plan for what we want to do over the
next, say, six weeks; over and above the usual bug fixing tasks.

Like all good plans we'll probably get it wrong in a number of ways ;-)
but the idea is that we all agree upon a few themes and goals to ensure
we are all working together on subgoals of the project.  At regular
intervals we should come together with a coherent working system, rather
than always having something broken!

I expect that some of the themes/goals will be relevant across the whole
classlib, and others will be module-specific.  I've created a wiki page
[2] with a suggestion of how it may look -- but the content comes from
everyone so it's not complete.

Thoughts?
Tim

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary