harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Regression tests (was: svn commit: r389475 - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/text/src: main/java/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.java test/java/tests/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormatTest.java)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:09:11 GMT
I'm not convinced.

Having the JIRA reference for non-contentious tests - such as an API
test that passes on the reference implementation - seems a little
redundant since no one will ever bother to look it up.  If a test was
contentious then I'd rather see a brief summary/explanation with the
code (perhaps referencing the JIRA) than to have only the JIRA
reference.  Having just the JIRA reference seems like a poor shortcut for
the important cases and needless clutter for the rest.

If we really need the information later it is in the svn log anyway?
For instance, I just did:

bash$ svn blame \
  modules/text/src/test/java/tests/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormatTest.java| \
  grep test_equals_afterFormat
389475   tellison     public void test_equals_afterFormat() {
bash$ svn log -r 389475
r389475 | tellison | 2006-03-28 11:56:21 +0100 (Tue, 28 Mar 2006) | 2 lines

Fix for HARMONY-209 (java.text.SimpleDateFormat.equals() behavior is
not compatible with RI)

Granted it gets a little more difficult over time, but the svn log
doesn't go missing or get deleted accidentally, forgottent, etc.  I
prefer to let
the version control system store this kind of metadata (since that is
what it is intended for) rather than cluttering the code with it.

Regards,
 Mark.

> Yep, I agree this is a good convention. I missed it here but will go and
> fix it.
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>
> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We agreed some time ago to mark regression tests with comments that includes
> > a reference to JIRA issue.
> >  There were no objections and I believe this is the good rule so I'd like to
> > ask everybody to follow it.
> > I've update testing wiki page to fix this agreement (see
> > http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Testing_Convention)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stepan.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.