harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Regression tests (was: svn commit: r389475 - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/text/src: main/java/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.java test/java/tests/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormatTest.java)
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:04:12 GMT
Are you expecting committers to do this or submitters?

Do we really want to raise the bar for submitters?

As a submitter, my current process is:

0) find problem
1) create test
2) check test fails
3) fix code
4) check test passes
5) create patch
6) create jira
7) attach patch

Often I save steps 6 and 7 to submit a bunch of JIRA's in one go.
It's going to be a pain to make this process:

0) find problem
1) create test
2) check test fails
3) fix code
4) check test passes
5) create JIRA
6) edit test
7) check test still passes
8) create patch
9) attach patch

With the new process I'm much more likely to get interrupted between
the create and attach step. I think it is better to keep the
"create/attach" JIRA steps together since then we avoid the
possibility that someone sees the JIRA and thinks there is no patch
forthcoming.  (Really I wish that JIRA create/attach could be an
atomic operation when I have a patch ready.)

Do we really want to raise the bar for submitters?

Regards,
 Mark.

On 3/28/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We agreed some time ago to mark regression tests with comments that includes
> a reference to JIRA issue.
>  There were no objections and I believe this is the good rule so I'd like to
> ask everybody to follow it.
> I've update testing wiki page to fix this agreement (see
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Testing_Convention)
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan.

IBM Java Technology Centre, UK.