harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Contributing SableVM?
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:23:13 GMT

On Mar 23, 2006, at 1:28 AM, Etienne Gagnon wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> b) hopefully an ICLA from each contributor
>
> Do you need this for "past contributors"?  This would be very onerous.
>
> SableVM, throughout history, has maintained a "clean room" development
> process, with utmost respect for intellectual property of others.  Our
> current contribution policy is strictly enforced; every contributor
> has
> formally agreed to the following terms:
> http://sablevm.org/svn/repository/sablevm/trunk/doc/
> contribution_policy.txt

The issue is that past contributors submitted their code
and licensed it to SableVM under whatever license SableVM
has. To allow the ASF to relicense the s/w, those contributors
must approve that effort, and an iCLA is one legal vehicle
that we use to allow that to happen. When SpamAssassin
moved to the ASF, we went through a similar effort
and obtained iCLAs.