harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Magnusson, Geir" <geir.magnus...@intel.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r386058 [1/49] ...
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:10:48 GMT
What was I concerned about?

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Mark Hindess [mailto:mark.hindess@googlemail.com]
Sent:	Thu Mar 16 00:36:38 2006
To:	harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject:	Re: svn commit: r386058 [1/49] ...

On 3/16/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Leo,
>
> I agree with you that big commits are hard to review and to understand what
> was changed. Why not to partition them? At least I don't understand why
> HARMONY-57 and HARMONY-88 were committed in one day. Integrating
> these two contributions of course changed the build: wow, the build now
> downloads resources from the net and it failed to do this ... downloading them
> by hands ... opsss, no property IdontHappyWithNetworkBuildUseLocalCopies ...
> hacking the ant script .... wow, the script to run test trying to download
> the same resources ... hacking the script ... hmmm, there are failed tests,
> what is wrong? .... aha, old known problems ... well, are there any other
> surprises? :-)

Hi Stepan,

As for the download issues, I've already mentioned on another thread
that I was aware of this and have a plan to fix it.

I wasn't in a position to do much about this in the script I submitted
because Geir had already expressed concern over provenance issues and
I went to some length to ensure I avoided adding anything new in the
process.  (Which is why for instance I used sed to create the module
ant files rather than including them in the patch - the latter would
be easier but with the former it is clear I'm not contribution IP to
the process.)

I will submit patches to improve the download process for the few
people that don't have (transparent proxy) internet access.

Can you provide more details of the test failures?  I only have one
which only affects the eclipse compiler which (probably correctly)
doesn't like the non-ASCII characters in the URITest.java source.

I suspect the old known problems you refer to are the test server
issues?  Again, there was nothing I could do about these without
adding IP to the integration process.
I did however specifically not configure the test servers on my local
machine and excluded all the tests that fail.  I felt this would be a
reasonable compromise.  The alternative would have been excluding all
the tests until everyone was happy.  But it would be a shame to take
that route when there are thousands of working tests and likely less
than 100 failures.

The build machine I tested on has a very strict firewall, and the only
additional rule I added to get the build to work was to allow outbound
HTTP to ibilbio.

I was only trying to help our over-worked committers.  I apologies if
I made mistakes.  I never claimed it would be perfect.  I'd be very
happy to accept constructive comments on how I could have done it
better (without adding extra IP and giving Geir headaches).

Regards,
 Mark.

Mime
View raw message