harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jchevm] generic Harmony_Class_Lib/GNU_Classpath adapter is on JIRA Harmony-192
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:24:24 GMT
On 3/10/06, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org> wrote:
> Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > Please take a look at bootstrap.c  It would be great if we can do the
> > final integration in the next 2 days while this code is still fresh in
> > my mind.
>
> Looks reasonable, you just commented out or changed the classes
> and methods that would not load yet.
>
> What's the plan for dealing with the Pointer class? Here are some
> possibilities that preserve Classpath compatibility:
>
> 1. Implement gnu.classpath.Pointer{32,64} in classlib
> 2. Have jchevm autodetect whether gnu.classpath.Pointer or
>    java.lang.Pointer is to be used.
>
> Either solution is OK with me, but I'd much prefer #1 because it's
> cleaner code and I'd rather not start adding hacks at this point that
> move us away from the current common API.

I agree that #1 is the cleanest, easiest technical approach.  The
difficulty is convincing an attorney that a file in Harmony Class Lib
called "blah blah GNU blah blah CLASSPATH" has nothing to do with gnu
or classpath.  I vote for adding a few lines of code to avoid spending
hours with an attorney.   How about an algorithm that first checks for
gnu.classpath.PointerXX and if its not found then looks for
xxx.yyy.zzz.Pointer class?   I am not happy with putting Pointer
classes in the java.lang package.  Maybe create a new package called
kernel_path.  Thoughts?

> Eventually I'd like jchevm to have a command line flag that allows
> you to easily switch between Classpath and classlib at startup, for
> quick side-by-side behavior comparisions. This will greatlyl increase
> our ability to debug the classlib/jchevm interface.

This is an excellent idea!  I really like it.

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division