harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:06:36 GMT

Paulex Yang wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer, but as to my knowledge, many commercial as well as
> open source software distribution includes msvcr71.dll, say, wincvs,
> ImageMagick, VMWare, OpenOffice, etc(just a few cases).

Right, but included w/ an app.

> And the vctoolkit2003's EULA says:
> "2.2 Redistributable Code-General. Microsoft grants you a nonexclusive,
> royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the object code form of
> any portion of the Software listed in REDIST.TXT ("Redistributable
> Code"). For general redistribution requirements for Redistributable
> Code, see Sectionļ£µ3.1, below. "
>
> but its redist.txt doesn't list any files! it says:
>
> "There are no redistributable files (i.e., dll's/cab's, etc.) included
> with the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. Object library files included with the
> Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 (e.g. the C Runtime Library static libraries
> designated with the suffix ".lib") will be automatically linked to your
> program when they are compiled by the Visual C++ compiler and linker.
> Inclusion of these static libraries as compiled into your program is
> acceptable; you may not, however, redistribute the static libraries
> standalone - on their own."
>
> While MSDN also said files in redist.txt is redistributable, the
> VS.net's redist.txt DOES include msvcr71.dll. Does it mean only
> VisualStudio user can redistribute it?

Heh.  Good question.  My concern is that it's not *indepdentently*
redistributable (just like sun's binaries like javamail aren't).
However I don't know, and asked my question to motivate someone to take
a look.

Worst case, we point to where people can go get it and make that step
manual.

I assume anyone w/ a modern MSFT toolchain would already have it?

geir