harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Download msvcr71.dll rather than distributing it
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:09:43 GMT
I'm not a lawyer, but as to my knowledge, many commercial as well as
open source software distribution includes msvcr71.dll, say, wincvs,
ImageMagick, VMWare, OpenOffice, etc(just a few cases).

And the vctoolkit2003's EULA says:
"2.2 Redistributable Code-General. Microsoft grants you a nonexclusive,
royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the object code form of
any portion of the Software listed in REDIST.TXT ("Redistributable
Code"). For general redistribution requirements for Redistributable
Code, see Sectionļ£µ3.1, below. "

but its redist.txt doesn't list any files! it says:

"There are no redistributable files (i.e., dll's/cab's, etc.) included
with the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. Object library files included with the
Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 (e.g. the C Runtime Library static libraries
designated with the suffix ".lib") will be automatically linked to your
program when they are compiled by the Visual C++ compiler and linker.
Inclusion of these static libraries as compiled into your program is
acceptable; you may not, however, redistribute the static libraries
standalone - on their own."

While MSDN also said files in redist.txt is redistributable, the
VS.net's redist.txt DOES include msvcr71.dll. Does it mean only
VisualStudio user can redistribute it?

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcconalistofredistributablefiles.asp

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> This gives me the heebie-jeebies. What is the license for that dll?
> Are people allowed to re-distribute independent of an app that uses it?
>
> Where else can people get it?
>
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Ok, if somebody prefers a different source send a note.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tim
>>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>>> I failed to find it on microsoft.com too. Though I'd be happy to be
>>> corrected.
>>>
>>> It was the first hit on the google search I did - or the first that
>>> didn't use javascript and popups to serve the download. It's trivial
>>> to change if you find a better source.
>>>
>>> I was careful to make sure the file it served had the md5sum of the
>>> file in svn. I also checked the sha1sum just to be a little more
>>> confident of its validity.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -Mark.

>>> --