harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] ant platform property definitions
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:58:22 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for the helpful comments.
>
> On 3/30/06, bootjvm <bootjvm@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Concerning the ideas for platform names, I think lower case names
>> like 'linux' and 'windows' and 'solaris' and 'aix' is by far the simplest
>> method.  It avoids UPPER case errors with the shift key for these
>> _very_ common key sequences, reducing "Inaccurate kEy SEquences"
>> quite a bit.  I have seen this work well for both platform names
>> and for project names (such as "newproj1" instead of "NewProj1")
>> with favorable long-term response from those who type the key
>> sequences most.
>>

> Very good point.  You are absolutely correct.  Sticking with Ant case
> may reduce complexity in the ant files but it makes things more
> confusing/complex for users.  This would be a bad idea.  The case
> mapping can be managed in a single ant file, for classlib anyway,
> which should make it manageable.

Agreed. Using mixed case just adds potential for errors. All lower case
is simple and doesnt
require us to remember whether, for example, aix is "AIX" or "Aix" or
whatever.

>> Bottom line:    Mixed case just adds one more level of complexity
>> to the whole situation.  Other comments below....
>>
>> Dan Lydick

Seconded. Again, abbreviations are something that will add complexity
and opportunity for errors.

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited