harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject SableVM and Harmony Class library
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:51:34 GMT
Hi,

>The main document on porting is at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/jfljq
>
>The VM Interface is described at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/gtd64
>
>and the required kernel classes are described at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/hawkl
>
>Regards,
> Mark.

Hi all,

I'm reading the documentation above and, at first glance, it seems to me
that interfacing the SableVM to the Harmony Class Library is a task that
involves the following steps:

step 1
------
The SableVM /has to/ implement the VM interface, in order for the
Harmony Class Library to "find" the entry points of a certain number of
native functions. The entry points are documented here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/group__VMInterface.html

step 2
------
The SableVM has to implement a Java interface, which means that is /has
to/ implement in C a small set of Java classes, documented in the
following link:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/kernel_doc/html/index.html#KernelJavaClasses

step 3
------
The SableVM, in terms of native functions, /should/ call only the native
functions of the port layer, used by the Harmony Class Library:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/group__Port.html#CreatePortLib

Comments are welcome :-)

Enrico