harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject VMI Questions
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:57:43 GMT
Hi Weldon,

I've started reading about the VMI.  While my initial goal would be to
get SableVM to work with Harmony as a drop-in replacement for IBM's VM,
I have some questions about some assumptions of the VMI.

In particular, I would like to understand the motivation for the
implicit direct link from the hyluni library to the VM library.  In
other words, it seems logical to me that the VM library would cause the
dynamic loading of the hyluni library.  On the other hand, I don't
understand why the hyluni library assumes that it will be necessarily
loaded by a specific VM library sitting in a particular directory.

This assumption has an important side effect.  The hyluni library
assumes that it can simply call VMI_* global functions which are
resolved by the dynamic linker.  Personally, I would have done things
some other way; I would either have had the VM library call a
VMI_SetVMI() function exported by the hyluni library and requested the
the VM library call it, or, better, I would have done like the debug
interface and requested the VMI function table through the GetEnv
function of the invocation interface :

 (*jvm)->GetEnv(jvm, &vmi, VMI_VERSION_1);

This would seem the cleanest approach to me.  The only problem is to
avoid clashing with Sun's constants.

The problem I see, with the current approach, is that it makes it
impossible to provide distinct VM libraries for different purposes
(debugging, faster execution, profiling, ...), as they can't be all in a
single file.

Etienne