harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: SableVM / Harmony Collaboration
Date Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:20:05 GMT
Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> I am all in favor of implementing IBM's proposed VMI in SableVM
> directly.  Where do I find more information about the VMI?

My opnion (just one of many of course) is that it might make more
sense to "fill out" the IBM VMI so that it closely (or better yet,
exactly) matches the current Classpath VM API. I'd be interested
in your thoughts on that idea.

See the thread "[jchevm] porting harmony classlib to JCHEVM" for
a previous discussion:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200602.mbox/%3c43ED1A79.7020704@dellroad.org%3e

In short, the Classpath VM API is lower layer than the IBM VMI,
so you'll end up implementing a bunch of the same stuff anyway.
You might as well implement it in Java instead of in the VM, and
doing it in the same way as Classpath would allow for much more
flexibility in terms of Java class library and VM combinations
and would mean many fewer changes to SableVM. Note I'm referring
only to the Java/VM API, not the Java/native code API, which is
really an issue "private" to the class library.

-Archie