harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: Contributing SableVM?
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:47:56 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Second, we need to discuss here in Harmony the approach we want to
> take with adopting the community of committers.  We have many people
> here that are not committers that have been working hard earning
> commit status, so we need to be careful not to discourage anyone.
> On the other hand, to me, when someone brings a large chunk of
> software with the intention of continuing to work on it in a
> community, that shows a reasonable amount of commitment, one of the
> things we look for in committers.  What we don't know are technical
> competency of the people, and how they "fit" into the community, both
> in working with others as well as "alignment of vision".
> Possibilities :
> 1) Donate the code, submit patches, earn commit.
> 2) Donate the code, and some number of people come in with it with
> commit granted to  the "sableVM" part of the repository, and
> interaction with the other parts of the codebase are done via patch
> until earned. All existing committers have full access, but simple
> manners would dictate we wouldn't go barging into code we don't
> understand.
> 3) Donate the code, some # of people come in w/ full commit.
> My personal preference is #2, #1, #3.  While I don't like
> balkanization of #2, but it has some balance to it - people don't just
> get full commit by bringing some code, but still have to earn ot.
> Yet, they continue to work on the code they know.  I like #3 the
> least, because we have others in the community working hard to earn
> their full commit and it is something to be earned...
> Comments all?
> geir

I think option #2 is more than reasonable. Yet, having a large number of
programmers (Harmony + SableVM) involved in the development of JC is a
promising step.

As far as I am concerned, it will take time to study the SableVM code
and its build system before being productive, but that's not a problem.

View raw message