harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:08:08 GMT

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> Just a random idea...  Why not have a special "testing" mode in the VM
> that would trigger special permissions to code in ".test" packages?

You wouldn't need that when testing in the VM. :)

That's why Tim suggested o.a.h.test.xxxx so then you stay out of package
  namespace that "belongs" to the boot classpath.

> Actually, this mechanism could act differently:  simply consider
> some.package and some.package.test as being the *same* package (so,
> erase, at loading time, the .test package suffix from loaded classes.
> It could also "combine" the fields & methods of package.Foo with
> package.test.Foo if classes with identical names exist in both packages,
>  so that private methods could be tested.

To me the problem then is that our VM becomes a testing framework - why
not just have a testing framework?

> Additionally, the testing mode could allow for loading java.lang.*
> classes in user class loaders.
>
> Of course, this would be a non-standard option, like -Xtestpermissions .
> And, this way, all the test code could reside in files and directories
> that would be separate from the real code.
>
> Yep, a random idea.  ;-)

Not a bad one, but it seems like a special "testing framework" with just
another name :)

geir