harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [resolved] Re: JCHEVM SVN access temporarily blocked
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:23:53 GMT
I imagine that merging JCHEVM and SableVM could help building what I
would call a "reference VM" for Harmony.  The reference VM would have a
stated goal of "robustness above all".

Some advantages of interpreter-based VMs are:
1- Simplicity of the code => less bugs, much easier to maintain.
2- High portability (given that some care has gone into it, of course).
3- Small footprint.
4- Can be used as a basis for a mixed-mode VM (e.g. adaptive system).
5- Using modern techniques, one can actually write efficient
   interpreters.  (They don't compete with the speed od adaptive
   systems, yet they are fast enough for day to day usage on modern,
   fast processors).