harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:18:45 GMT

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> Did I understand your "1." correctly that this suite (Test for APIs) would be
> something competing with Sun's TCK?

No - nothing we do would compete.  it could be the same functionality,
but it's not competing in the sense of trying to surpass or displace.
The TCK is the TCK.

However, having our own suite (using Mauve too...) means that anyone can
be running a rich set of tests w/o having to have the TCK and all the
legal pain and suffering that goes along with it.

geir

> Thanks,
> Mikhail
>
> 2006/3/21, Richard Liang <richard.liangyx@gmail.com>:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>> Good unit tests are going to be testing things that are package
>>> protected.  You can't do that if you aren't in the same package
>>> (obviously).  With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
>>> implicitly discouraging good testing practice?  Given that this
>>> o.a.h.t.* pattern comes from Eclipse-land, how do they do it?  I
>>> couldn't imagine that the Eclipse tests don't test package protected
>>> things.
>>>
>> Hello Geir,
>>
>> Maybe we should have two types of test suites:
>> 1. Test for APIs including public and protected methods which could be
>> run against different Java SE implementations.
>> ==>> If we want to test a protected method of a class, we could mock a
>> subclass of this class. And write test case against the subclass.
>> (Protected methods are accessible to subclass)
>>
>> 2. Test for internal implementation which may include tests for package
>> private methods and tests for other internal-used classes.
>> ==>>We must put the tests into the same package if we want to test
>> package private methods of a class.
>>
>> These are just some rough thinking ;-) Any comments? Thanks a lot.
>>> I've been short of Round Tuits lately, but I still would like to
>>> investigate a test harness that helps us by mitigating the security
>>> issues...
>>>
>>> geir

of the
our UK friends...)