harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:27:13 GMT
Good unit tests are going to be testing things that are package
protected.  You can't do that if you aren't in the same package
(obviously).  With the "custom" of putting in things in o.a.h.t are we
implicitly discouraging good testing practice?  Given that this
o.a.h.t.* pattern comes from Eclipse-land, how do they do it?  I
couldn't imagine that the Eclipse tests don't test package protected things.

I've been short of Round Tuits lately, but I still would like to
investigate a test harness that helps us by mitigating the security
issues...

geir

Mark Hindess wrote:
> I thought the crucial thing was that tests should be in a separate
> namespace not in the namespace of the package they are testing (at
> least not unless it was absolutely necessary).
> -Mark.

>> I'm doing it now.
>>
>> I need to go back and stare at our discussion on test setup, because I'm
>>   still not a raving fan of o.a.h.test....
>>
>> geir
>>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>>> Don't worry, you'd have to be less subtle for me to take something as criticism.
>>>
>>> I've had an attempt at moving beans out - HARMONY-218.  If that gets
>>> committed I'll do the other too.
>>>
>>> -Mark.

 Sorry.

and