harmony-dev mailing list archives

From karan malhi <karan.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Require compiler options that allow partial 5.0 language features
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:39:22 GMT
Hi Mark,

I am probably missing something. The java tool docs for 1.5 mentions
that javac -target is a standard option in compilers, so it is a
documented compiler feature. What would be risk involved in using this
feature which is already documented as a "Standard Option" in the tool
docs of jdk1.5 ?
Is there any other document other than "tool docs" which comes with
jdk1.5 docs where the standard options of the compiler are mentioned?

Mark Hindess wrote:

>+1
>
>This opens up so many new opportunities for contribution that I think
>it's worth the risk of relying on an undocumented compiler feature ...
>and since the Eclipse compiler supports it then the risk is mitigated
>to a large extent anyway.
>
>Regards,
> Mark.
>

>On 3/17/06, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>As discussed on the list, there is a compiler option in the 5.0
>>compilers we use that allows source code containing a subset of Java 5.0
>>language features to be compiled into 1.4 compatible class files.
>>
>>Since this is quite a significant change I'd like to get a vote on
>>whether the project should make this compiler option a necessity for our
>>code.
>>
>>The positive outcome of this is that we can develop APIs that rely on
>>those 5.0 language features, and run the resulting code on existing
>>1.4-compatible VMs.
>>
>>The downside is that we are using an undocumented compiler feature on
>>the reference implementation (it is supported on the Eclipse compiler).
>>
>>[ ] +1 - Yes, change the build scripts to compile 5.0 code to 1.4 target
>>[ ]  0 - I don't care
>>[ ] -1 - No, don't change the compiler options (please state why)
>>

>>Regards,
>>Tim
>>
>>--
>>
>>Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)