harmony-dev mailing list archives

From karan malhi <karan.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Require compiler options that allow partial 5.0 language features
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:28:08 GMT

I didnt quite understand as to why is it an undocumented compiler
feature? The standard javac compiler does have a "target" option , which
is probably what eclipse would be using to generate the class files for
1.4 target vm.

Tim Ellison wrote:
As discussed on the list, there is a compiler option in the 5.0

>compilers we use that allows source code containing a subset of Java 5.0
>language features to be compiled into 1.4 compatible class files.
>Since this is quite a significant change I'd like to get a vote on
>whether the project should make this compiler option a necessity for our
>The positive outcome of this is that we can develop APIs that rely on
>those 5.0 language features, and run the resulting code on existing
>1.4-compatible VMs.
>The downside is that we are using an undocumented compiler feature on
>the reference implementation (it is supported on the Eclipse compiler).
>[ ] +1 - Yes, change the build scripts to compile 5.0 code to 1.4 target
>[ ]  0 - I don't care
>[ ] -1 - No, don't change the compiler options (please state why)

Karan Singh

View raw message