harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [vote] Require compiler options that allow partial 5.0 language features
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:35:06 GMT
As discussed on the list, there is a compiler option in the 5.0
compilers we use that allows source code containing a subset of Java 5.0
language features to be compiled into 1.4 compatible class files.

Since this is quite a significant change I'd like to get a vote on
whether the project should make this compiler option a necessity for our

The positive outcome of this is that we can develop APIs that rely on
those 5.0 language features, and run the resulting code on existing
1.4-compatible VMs.

The downside is that we are using an undocumented compiler feature on
the reference implementation (it is supported on the Eclipse compiler).

[ ] +1 - Yes, change the build scripts to compile 5.0 code to 1.4 target
[ ]  0 - I don't care
[ ] -1 - No, don't change the compiler options (please state why)

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

View raw message