harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Excluded tests in x-net module or back to bootclasspath issue
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:54:41 GMT
I agree that they need to be reinstated Stepan, I'd just like to
separate out the suite of tests that are pure API tests (and therefore
expected to run on all compliant implementations, modulo their known
bugs/departures) and the internal implementation tests that we would
only expect to pass on Harmony code.

I had hoped that we could separate them using JUnit test suites, but as
Geir pointed out the Ant support for JUnit suites produces very limited
reports.  I'd always run suites directly from Eclipse and could see all
the required info.

So it seems that the options are to (a) figure out why Ant is hiding the
data, and fix that; or (b) live with it and invent a naming scheme for
Harmony implementation tests that keep them separate from the API tests.

As (I think it was) Mikhail pointed out a while ago, using class naming
schemes is far from ideal, as there may be a significant repetition of
test cases and the suites they fit into.  If we want to support testing
with 'exotic' configurations then we will need some 'suites' that assume
basic set-up, and others that can assume a test http server, ldap
server, database, and so on.

So my preference is to figure out why Ant produces its limited report
for JUnit suites.

Matt: can you shed any light on this?

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi Tim,
> Currently you excluded 12 tests in 'x-net' module. The ant script file
> contains the following comments for them: "The following tests are excluded
> because they fail for reasons to be determined"
> The reason is well known and it was discussed a lot. These tests depend on
> package access functionality and BC provider jar is still required to be on
> bootclasspath (I don't remember that we solved this issue). I know that you
> are allergic to putting all stuff on bootclasspath but I'd prefer keep them
> running to track regressions rather then adding them to exclude list and
> forgetting about them for a long time.
> Thanks,
> Stepan Mishura
> Intel Middleware Products Division