harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [jchevm] JCHEVM discussion]
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:15:41 GMT
Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> 1- I do claim shared copyright on JCVM/JCHEVM.  I do not and will not
> back down from this.
>
> 2- As far as I can tell from the above, both the ASF and Archie Cobbs
> seem to agree to acknowledge this shared copyright.

Um, I think I agree... so what is the practical import?

In other words, if JCVM/JCHEVM can be licensed under the
Apache license, then I'm satisfied. I don't plan on ever
trying to take this stuff "closed source" or whatever.. so
anyone else sharing copyright shouldn't matter (to me) right?

> 3- The only "obscure area" that is left (i.e. an area where there is no
> explicit agreement between all involved) is: which exact parts can be
> claimed "independent" work and which cannot not.  It seems easier to
> agree to simply state the shared copyright on JCHEVM and leave the
> detail of exact files and lines out.  Personally, I claim co-ownership
> on the whole derivative of SableVM.  I am sure Archie Cobbs would do the
> reverse.  Unfortunately, it would probably be quite difficult to settle
> this out of court.  Do you really want this to escalate that far?

I agree it would be messy to try to separate it out, even though
most of JCVM is not derivative (e.g., the garbage collector, weak and
phantom reference support, finalization support, bytecode interpreter,
ZIP file reader, class file parser, class loader and resolution code,
class file dump tool, javah tool, JAR file launcher, heap structure,
Thread.interrupt support, reflection support, signal handler, etc.).

-Archie