harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [jchevm] JCHEVM discussion]
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:51:27 GMT
Hi Dalibor, Leo, and all,

 Archie wrote:
   3. So what do we do? My wish is to give SableVM the benefit of the
      doubt.  If there's something in there they claim is "theirs", we
      can take it out and replace it. I'd rather do that than argue
      about it. We should remember that JCVM owes SableVM a debt of
      gratitude and respect their wishes.

 Etienne wrote:
  So, if the Harmony project has no problem acknowledging the shared
  Copyright of SableVM authors on JCHEVM, I will get in touch with these
  authors to get their consent to a license change.

 Geir answered:
  That's excellent!  I see no problem with that.  We traditionally give
  credit where credit is due for anything we redistribute.

So, just to make things Cristal clear:

1- I do claim shared copyright on JCVM/JCHEVM.  I do not and will not
back down from this.

2- As far as I can tell from the above, both the ASF and Archie Cobbs
seem to agree to acknowledge this shared copyright.

3- The only "obscure area" that is left (i.e. an area where there is no
explicit agreement between all involved) is: which exact parts can be
claimed "independent" work and which cannot not.  It seems easier to
agree to simply state the shared copyright on JCHEVM and leave the
detail of exact files and lines out.  Personally, I claim co-ownership
on the whole derivative of SableVM.  I am sure Archie Cobbs would do the
reverse.  Unfortunately, it would probably be quite difficult to settle
this out of court.  Do you really want this to escalate that far?

4- Once this shared copyright is acknowledged, there is a license issue
to solve.  The ASF has not been given a permission by SableVM authors to
distribute the derivative work, namely JCHEVM, under the Apache License.
  This is where I am amicably proposing a hopefully elegant solution: to
ask SableVM authors to give such permission, so that we can all go on
with our lives and continue development.  Anyway, I have made SableVM
Free/Opens Source so that people can copy, share and derive code from
it; I see no reason not to let people do so.  All I am asking for is a
little respect of my copyright on software to which I have dedicated
years of work.

Regards,

Etienne