harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: [jchevm] JCHEVM discussion]
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:20:42 GMT
Hi Chris,

A little clarification.  I don't claim that you can't study another's
Free/Open Source (F/OS) VM source code, or that you can't contribute to
multiple VMs over time.  I claim that this does not allow you to COPY
one VM's source code into another one without respecting the Copyright.

Mainly, I was was arguing about one specific case at hand.  (Experience
tells me that theoretical discussions of hypothetic cases can lead to
endless flame wars).  Please have a look at the files pointed to by
Archie Cobbs.  You will see there similarities that go well beyond the
general idea you get by reading another F/OS VM's source code.

So, in most cases, it shouldn't be a problem to read another
implementation's code.  Yet, I would warn the Harmony "class library"
developers to be careful on how they "study" other class libraries such
as GNU Classpath.  It is OK to *occasionally* read the source code of
GNU Classpath and see how they resolved *some* of the problems, yet it
would be wrong if Harmony started copying (or "re-writing similarly", if
that's clearer to you) GNU Classpath.  Let say that taking a few days
after reading the source code to work on something else, before coming
back to the problem and think about some "independent"
solution/implementation, would be highly recommended so that the code
you write doesn't end up being an "intelligent copy" of other's code.
Anyway, this is simply my little personal recommendation about it.
Anyway, as I am not a Copyright holder of either class libraries, so you
can take my opinion with a grain of salt. ;-)

Note that as long as you are the Copyright holder, you can copy your
code as much as you want, unless you assigned it to somebody else, in
which case you should respect the rules of your assignment contract.

Have fun!

Etienne