harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Location of test data files
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:13:26 GMT
Richard Liang wrote:
> George Harley wrote:
>> Hi Mikhail (again),
>>
>> Just a couple of brief observations about the SerializationTest.java
>> code as it stands in SVN today :
>>
>> 1) The reference/golden .dat files for Serializable classes in a
>> given module could be added under the module's src/test/resources
>> directory (in sub-folders corresponding to their package names). In
>> an Ant build these would be copied under the test bin using a tweaked
>> version of the "copy-test-resources" target (see the proposed changes
>> to make/build-java.xml contained in the HARMONY-57). At runtime this
>> would make the .dat files available from the classpath.
>>
> Hello George,
>
> It's good to put all test data files for one module into one folder,
> such as "src/test/resources". However, there may be other options,
> personally I'd like to put the test data file into the same directory
> of the test case which uses the data file. This may make the
> maintenance work easy. :-)
> Anyway, I think we shall follow the same style.

Hi Richard,

Just to avoid any ambiguity here, what I proposed was to place the
reference serialization files *under* a given module's
src/test/resources folder in sub-folders that matched the package name
of the test class - and not just have them all in one folder.

For instance, the LUNI module could have a SimpleTimeZoneTest.dat file
located in the folder
<MODULE_ROOT>/src/test/resources/serialization/tests/api/java/util

Another alternative would be to use a tree structure that mirrored the
package name of the Serializable type under test.
e.g.
<MODULE_ROOT>/src/test/resources/serialization/java/util/SimpleTimeZoneTest.dat

I think that separating out all test artefacts from actual source code
is cleaner and IMHO makes the maintenance easier :-)

Using either Ant or <IDE of choice> it is pretty straightforward to get
these resources placed on the classpath when the tests are run.

Best regards,
George