harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [jchevm] JCHEVM discussion
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:36:55 GMT
Ok....

We have a tradition here at the ASF of working as transparently as
possible.  Right now, it's my opinion that there's nothing with this
issue that would require carrying on the code examination off-list.

This is something that we were aware of when Archie made the
contribution - he prominently and openly credited SableVM for ideas and
algorithms.  You can review the discussion around this here :

A contributor to the SableVM project has contacted Archie and the ASF
and believes that some of JCHEVM constitutes a derivative work of some
code in SableVM.  The contributor has been invited to participate in
this discussion with us if he chooses - we are all working towards the
same amicable outcome.

While this is an important issue, it's a simple one that we will deal
with in a straightforward, rapid and open manner, and put it behind us
one way or the other.  It will have no long term effect on the project -
if anything, it will give us experience in handling cases like this in
the future, which I am sure will pop up despite our best efforts.  Stuff
happens.

I applaud Archie for his candor and openness wrt these issues so far,
and suggest that Archie is in the best position to lead off the
discussion :) [hint]

Also, I have asked the SableVM contributor to state exactly which files
in SableVM are infringed by which files in JCHEVM to give us a better
basis to work from.

geir