harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Harley <george.c.har...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: How to deal with this kind of serialization compatibility issue?
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:35:30 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> 2006/3/9, George Harley <george.c.harley@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Such a testing effort still sounds pretty daunting though.
>>

> BTW, there is a framework for serialization testing which is currently
> in the security module:
>
> modules/security/test/common/unit/org/apache/harmony/security/test/SerializationTest.java
>
> It serves to simplify serialization testing and has the docs inside. Actually
> almost all serializable security-related classes are tested with this framework.
>
> Does it make sense to move the framework to a common place?

Hi Mikhail !

I've spent a little bit of time running this (with a couple of my own
little concrete subclasses of SerializationTest) and I really like it.
It was pretty straightforward to create a JUnit error for the case of
java.util.TimeZone after my overridden version of getData() used
TimeZone.getDefault() to generate a couple of TimeZone instances from
the RI.

I can definitely see a case for broadening this approach outside just
the security classes. Really impressive stuff !

Best regards,
George