harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: ITC's Contribution
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:05:17 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Iris Gastañaga wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>   We have read the contribution policy and we are ready to sign
>> the following documents -we've questions on some of them, so please
>> advice-:
>
> I'll try to help, but with the standard disclaimer that IANAL, so you
> need to be comfortable with the terms and conditions and grants that you
> are signing no matter what I tell you!
>
>> - SG & CCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt ):
>>     Signed by the CEO of ITC. The CCLA should list the team leaders
>>     as authorized contributors
>
> Ok, thanks.  The list of designated employees on this form is an
> internal matter for you (essentially listing people who can contribute
> assets on behalf of the corporation).

Or you can just ignore that.  For the purposes of this contribution, the
important critical part is Schedule B of the document.  Listing people
in Schedule A is good too, but basically is there to protect those
individuals by allowing them to prove that the corporation has given
permission for them to participate in any apache project.

>> - Bulk Contribution Checklist
>>   (http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/bulk_contribution_checklist.txt):
>>
>>     One for each package, signed by the team leader, and specifying
>>     the list of developers (authors)
>
> You really only need one checklist per bulk contribution (which may be a
> set of packages); but no harm, just more paperwork!

Which is harm :)

Please only send one document that covers the single contribution,
unless there is some problem which prevents this and requires multiple,
but I can't see a situation where that is the case.

>> - ICLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt):
>>     One for each person designated as authorized contributor (or
>>     should it be one for each author?)
>
> The Software Grant and checklist cover the bulk contribution, so ICLA's
> should be completed for people who will be making an ongoing
> contribution to the code.  The ICLA works for contributors, the
> foundation, and code consumers to define the terms under which
> contributions are made to the project.

Right.

>> - ACQ (http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/auth_cont_quest.txt ):
>>     One for each person designated as authorized contributor (or
>>     should it be one for each author?)
>
> The bulk contribution checklist ensures that incoming code, created
> outside the day-to-day development of the project, has a traceable and
> acceptable IP provenance.  If you can provide an ACQ for each of the
> original authors(*) and each ongoing contributor(+) that would be ideal.
>
> (*)otherwise see the bulk contribution checklist for details
> (+)otherwise they are probably out of luck, see the ACQ for details

Yes please provide one for every author of the code contribution.

>> Is this ok? where should we send this documents?
>
> To date these forms have been sent directly to Geir.  I won't put his
> fax number out on the list  -- I'll let him send it to you directly.

+1 203 665 6400

geir