harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [jchevm] Harmony Class Lib does "Hello World" on a GNU Classpath JVM
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:43:33 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
>> Classpath supplies its own native methods for file I/O. That is,
>> you can implement file I/O normally using normal native methods.
>> This is not something the VM needs to be directly involved with.
>> So the "fix" would be for classlib to implement this itself.
>
> I suspected this.  But I could not figure out how to add a new entry
> into _JC_LIB_ENTRY.  I tried but got a bunch of misc error messages so
> I gave up.  If you give me some hints on how to add enties to
> _JC_LIB_ENTRY, I will take a second stab at it.

You would not modify that code (or any other part of jchevm) at all.
Instead, you'd build a JNI native library as part of classlib and
then load in your Java code it via System.loadLibrary(). This is just
the usual "Java code with native library" pattern.

The _JC_LIB_ENTRY() stuff is only for native methods that are provided
by jchevm itself, e.g., java.lang.VMThread.start(), Runtime.gc(), etc.

-Archie