harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jira messages redirected to commits mailing list
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:43:25 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Actually there are important things that are to be tracked in JIRA.
> For example, questions of being non-compatible with either RI or spec.

I personally don't care too much about which mailing list the JIRA
issues are sent to, because Thunderbird can handle them easily and well.

But I DO prefer to discuss on the mailing list, and JIRA can be used to
only reflect the stage or result of the discussion(that's my
understanding of status tracking, instead of discussion tracking :-) ),
another reason I prefer writing email than commenting on JIRA is email
is easier to be used as discussion - it can be read/replied/commented
off line, the previous mail can be inline, it can use html format, etc.
etc. ;-) .

A sample is the JIRA issue 184 about TimeZone serialization
compatibility, which itself is a concrete case, and I reply this JIRA to
dev mailing list to discuss more common compatibility issue, and when we
have some agreement on what to do, I will  update the JIRA issue to
reflect that. I'm fine in this way.

> And as far as the mail traffic on the dev-list is doubling every month [1]
> it would be great to make it possible to separate those JIRA issues
> that describe minor bugs/fixes from these ones that have conceptual value.

I  agree with you that many JIRA issues are not as significant as some
others, especially as reference for similar case later, I guess there
are already some marker for this purpose, priority/type/component, etc.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab