harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jira messages redirected to commits mailing list
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:42:34 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>>
>>> Tim Ellison wrote:
<snip>
>> What steps should I stop doing?
>
> It was a joke, referring to my continual plea to get some of the
> conversations out and into -dev@

Sorry, the joke was lost on me.

I would like to help reduce the volume of jira mail.  For me it is easy
enough to create a client filter to put messages sent from jira@a.o in a
separate folder, but I can quite understand the request to filter
server-side, by moving the mail to a less-subscribed mailing list
(commits) or its own mailing list or whatever.

>>> Every change should be visible to everyone for maximum transparency, or
>>> so I believe.  It would be a pain in the rear if one had to explicitly
>>> sign up for each jira one was interested in.
>>
>> Some people say every JIRA state change / comment is too much 'spam' --
>> you want to see them all ...
>
> Yes, because mail is easy to delete, filter, ignore.
>
> More importantly,  I think a model that requires the community to
> individually add themselves to each JIRA as a watcher is one prone to
> failure of oversight.  I know that I'd forget, and I believe that full
> flows like this sometimes catch the attention of a new person to
> participate.  There also is the issue of archiving that mail stream...
> It could be that isn't as important because JIRA has the info, but OTOH
> someone might want to prove something was done with full exposure to the
> community.

Sure.

Lets see how it goes with the mail going to -commit@

>>> That said, once the VM activity gets really honking, we'll probably need
>>> a second stream for those...
>>
>> Not sure why the VM is special here.
>
> Not special, but different. It will be a separate group of people
> working on different things, so we may want to start segmenting the mail
> streams.  People may really not care about VM stuff if the work on
> classlib stuff, or classlib stuff if they are focused on the JIT or
> something.
>
> We'll have to see.

I agree.

Regards,