harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] do we have any current instances where we've chosen to disagree with the spec or RI?
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:17:36 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Yes we do.  I'm not convinced that logging them in JIRA is the right
> thing -- I'd like to see them a bit closer to the code.

Having them in JIRA doesn't exclude doing anything else, just serves as
an additional tracking system - a central directory of how we deviate so
we can keep easy track of the status of any deviation.

> IMHO when we agree on a departure from the spec/RI then the differences
> should be embodied in an API test case.   We should expect the test to
> pass on harmony code, and fail on the RI -- then add that test to the RI
> exclusion list so that all our remaining API tests pass on the RI.  The
> exclusion list will become the repository of differences.  We can
> address each exclusion if/when they are resolved in the RI.

That works, but a set of test cases doesn't capture what I was hoping to
find in the JIRA, such as a simple way to search, and english-language
description.  THe JIRA should point to the test case, and a mail archive
of the discussion of the decision.

geir