harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Understanding JAPI tools
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 06:12:16 GMT
Stuart,

Stuart Ballard wrote:
> Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Stuart: is there some way to avoid JAPI taking inherited API signatures
>> into account when doing the diff?  kinda like the javadoc tool.
>>

> This is something of a Japi FAQ (I should probably put together a Japi FAQ page
> somewhere now that it's no longer the case that pretty much everyone using Japi
> is on the Classpath list ;) ).
>
> The answer is no, it doesn't do this, and I'm not going to implement it. The
> reason is that whether a method is overridden or not is *not* part of the public
> API. Javadoc documents it, sure, but that's not really sufficient to say whether
> it's part of the API or not - it's quite likely it was simply easier to write
> Javadoc that way (so it didn't have to go and find the doc comments in the
> superclass's source file, etc).
>
> The rules of binary compatibility say that moving a method up or down the class
> hierarchy is a completely compatible change.
>
> A method may be overridden, or not, purely for performance reasons and the
> behavior could be completely identical. For example, LinkedList.subList is not
> documented as being overridden, but if it's not, that guarantees that the
> iterator() method will always be at least O(N) where N is the startIndex that
> the sublist was created with. An overridden LinkedList.subList method could hang
> on to the start and end nodes of the list and provide an O(1) implementation of
> iterator(). As long as some effort was taken to ensure that serialization stayed
> compatible, there's no reason why a Free runtime shouldn't do that optimization
> even if Sun doesn't.
>
> I've also heard of cases where Sun documents a method as being overridden even
> though as far as any testing can determine, all it does is call super. There
> should be no obligation for any Free runtime to duplicate this inefficiency.
>
> It's also possible to implement a method that needs changed behavior in a
> subclass by making the superclass delegate some parts of its behavior to
> non-public methods, so the superclass method is unchanged but the subclass just
> overrides the non-public methods (obviously, this only works if the subclass is
> in the same package, but that's pretty common).
>
> Finally, it's possible (albeit unlikely) that even if there *was* an apparent
> need to override a method in a subclass because it has different behavior, there
> might be some weird optimization-related reason why somebody might want to
> actually write it as "if (this instanceof Whatever)" in the superclass. I can't
> see why that would happen, but if someone did that and got all the behavior
> right, they shouldn't be penalized for it in Japi.

Most of above is true and has good reason,  but as a practicer trying to
implement a RI compatible class library, I still feel strongly that the
method override information has its value, maybe a most common example
is equals(Object), most classes don't override this method and only call
j.l.Object's, but others DO has their own criteria, it's very reasonable
to just remind programmer to implement this method, otherwise it will
introduce serious compatibility issue.

Just as a proposal, if you still feel that override difference is
another story with common difference, how about to separate them into
another category, similar with Compiler's warning, which at least can be
as reference to programmer, and this information even can be switched on
only if some user want to check the difference more *strictly*.
> Basically, Japi's business is to test the coverage of the API, and it's a
> fundamental design decision that Japi will *not* be testing implementation
> details. I've done quite a lot of work fixing bugs where implementation details
> inadvertently get exposed in the Japi results and if I find any more I'll fix
> them too.
>
> I think this is *extremely* important because, among other things, it's the
> *only* reason I feel legally secure in distributing Japi files for the JDK. As
> long as they only contain functional information necessary for interoperability,
> they're uncopyrightable. If they start exposing copyrightable implementation
> details, they become derived works of the JDK, and illegal to distribute (or,
> technically, to even create in the first place). And potentially so do the
> results of the comparisons. And if you then use those comparisons to make
> decisions on what to implement in Harmony, it jeopardizes Harmony's cleanroom
> status too. (IANAL; the people who actually decide whether legal risks are
> acceptable might think this isn't actually a problem for Harmony, but *I* don't
> want to be responsible for it ;) )
>
> The right way to ensure that you've overridden all the right methods is to test
> the *behavior* of those methods. Obviously this is a lot more work than a simple
> automated run via Japi or equivalent, but it's the only way to get meaningful
> results.

It is definitely the right way, but maybe not the most practical one.
Still the example of equals(), do we need a testEquals for every single
class? or do we still need to check the JavaDoc one by one to find
difference on this method? why not the tool just give some warning to
some possible incompatible?
> Obviously since Japi is Free Software I can't prevent others from making a
> version that does this, but I hope I've shown why I think it would be a bad idea.

There is another issue of JAPI, pls. correct me if I'm wrong, seems the
*final* information is also ignored. I also think this difference of
method signature is a compatibility issue which could not be overlooked,
because the spec writer might have consider very carefully about which
methods can be overridden and which should be  immutable. Comments?

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab