harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: any donations expected for awt and swing?
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:13:06 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Probably best to put the 'concerted work in progress' description on the
> wiki, so anyone can join in; the website status page was intended to be
> more of a current state of the code overview.  We should also start to
> set ourselves some goals, in terms of applications to run, etc.
>
> If you want to make a start on the wiki page that would be good, or if
> anyone else has an idea for tracking intent...
>
> It's also worth mentioning that I don't believe we should be exclusive
> about areas of work within, and contribution to, Harmony.  While I
> understand that the goal is to minimize redundant work, we may find
> ourselves in the situation of having more than one implementation of the
> same APIs (we already saw this happen with 'security' and 'security2'
> contributions).  This is no bad thing as it allows us to evaluate the
> best technical option (quickly) and proceed with the combined group of
> experts collaborating on a single code base.  I hope we can continue to
> do so 'harmoniously'.

I also strongly advise *not* to put something in a wiki that says "work
in progress" without working on it in a place where people can see progress.

The reason for this is because somebody that might have an itch to
scratch (say running their favorite applet/swing-app on harmony) needs
to be able to contribute while the process is running, not at the end of
it... or we end up losing potential contributors.

I don't want to rain on the parade, just suggesting that we should allow
people that want to play in our svn sandbox with even a minimal
contribution of code, instead of having them working on their stuff in
their own hard drives where nobody can see it, comment on it or
change/improve it.

--
Stefano.