harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject tools commands (was: Re: Where to put the Eclipse plug in for Harmony JRE support? (HARMONY-127))
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:02:45 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> does it make sense to move the launcher there?  We'll need to reuse for
> other tools.

I don't think so.  The tools should be capable of being written in Java
code, so putting all that logic under enhanced/tools/javadoc or whatever
makes sense, and creating a common tools framework in Java; but the
launcher has a closer affinity to the class lib code than a general tool
would be expected to have (it has to set up the portlib, VMI interface
to the VM, create the VM etc.).

I can imaging that we put code in the launcher to make it invoke a tool
trivially in the tools framework, but that would be a specialization of
the generic launcher.

Regards,
Tim

--