harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: any donations expected for awt and swing?
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:10:14 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Probably best to put the 'concerted work in progress' description on the
> wiki, so anyone can join in; the website status page was intended to be
> more of a current state of the code overview.  We should also start to
> set ourselves some goals, in terms of applications to run, etc.

Why not have "started" on the webpage, and then a like to the wiki page
if there is one?

Or just encourage people to ask here on the dev list...

> If you want to make a start on the wiki page that would be good, or if
> anyone else has an idea for tracking intent...
>
> It's also worth mentioning that I don't believe we should be exclusive
> about areas of work within, and contribution to, Harmony.

Absolutely.

> While I
> understand that the goal is to minimize redundant work, we may find
> ourselves in the situation of having more than one implementation of the
> same APIs (we already saw this happen with 'security' and 'security2'
> contributions).  This is no bad thing as it allows us to evaluate the
> best technical option (quickly) and proceed with the combined group of
> experts collaborating on a single code base.  I hope we can continue to
> do so 'harmoniously'.

Choice and competition is good.  This isn't "live or die" competition,
but "we can choose best of breed" competition, and we all benefit.
There are no losers.

geir