harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Sorry for making trouble for vote
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:21:13 GMT
*Absolutely* no trouble!

Everyone is invited, nay *encouraged* to vote, because everyone's
opinion should be taken into consideration for things like this,
committer or not.

<hat type="mentor">

Info :

*Legally* speaking, the only votes that count are those of the project
PMC (Project Management Committee), when graduated from incubator, or
the Incubator PMC, when in incubator.  The goal is to have 100% of the
committers on the PMC for any project, of course, although that's rarely
realized for a number of reasons.

That said, if you have the situation where the PMC  is going a different
direction from the committers, or the community at large, it better be a
very exceptional situation!

The idea of the PMC is not to establish any kind of hierarchy or bestow
status or magical powers on individuals, but simply organize the
structure of ASF projects in a way that's aligned with US Corporate law
in a way that a lawyer and a court would recognize (because the ASF is a
US non-profit corporation.)

Thus, the membership of the ASF elects a Board of Directors (like
stockholders appoint a corporate board), and the Board then authorizes
the creation of Top Level Projects and appoints an individual, the PMC
Chair, as an ASF corporate officer, to oversee the project's PMC.  The
point is just to have visible and defendable accountability for the
actions of a project done in the name of the ASF (accepting code, adding
committers, making releases, etc)

The Harmony PPMC is really like a "provisional" PMC that goes through
the motions in preparation of being a fully-empowered PMC, but it has no
legally binding authority.  However, the Incubator PMC, in it's role of
oversight, will simply "rubberstamp" any PPMC decision as long as it's
sane and proper.    The PPMC decision for things like code acceptance
and releases are done in public, and implicit w/in the general vote
(which is why we don't call out for a special PPMC-only vote...) We
learn by doing.
</hat>

geir

(Also - participation is how people get to become committers, too :)
Keep participating :))