harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject [OT] what is a "mentor", anyway? (was: [classlib] where to put mods...)
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:49:28 GMT
Hi gang,

Just some soul-searching on a sunny wednesday morning (over here
anyways)...

much of the traffic I see these days on harmony-dev (I'm through the
back-log. Yay!) to me looks like lots of people in "violent agreement"
and it prompts me to write messages like this, eg trying to help the
people doing the actual work to reach consensus. I keep wondering whether
I should actually send them (and try and fill this whole "mentor" (I
*hate* that word. It reminds me of mr. Myagi from the movie "The Karate
Kid". I identify more with the karate kid :-)) role, since this
consensus thing in an online community is probably new to some of the
harmony crew) or just let people sort it out on their own (and let
meritocracy rule).

If you have an opinion on this, please do let me know, and I might
adjust behaviour accordingly (realistically, I learn slowly, but I do
try! :-)).....its not like the incubator has any kind of "how to do
mentoring" guide, nor is harmony a whole lot like the other projects
in the incubator, so we're often just winging it.....thanks!

cheers,

LSD

----- Forwarded message from Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> -----