harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:08:09 GMT
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 02:48:25PM -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On 3/21/06, Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> wrote:
> >

> > Java is so depressingly backwards. We're solving problems over and
> > over again that would not be problems in the first place if Java was
> > managed competently, by people who have a clue about involving
> > communities, and placed the platform before their business interests.
> >
> > cheers,
> > dalibor topic
>

> Can you please stop with the Sun bashing?. Sun has specifically allowed you
> among others to create a cleanroom implementation of their JVM. In fact they
> did change the legalese allowing that to happen.

That's a slightly uninformed assertion.

Sun changed their legalese to make it possible to certify
a cleanroom implementation of J2SE as compatible, a little while ago.

Implementing the specs by writing open source VMs has been done since
1996, and needed no specific blessing.

Certification of compatibility is not the same thing as the right to
implement. The former is something Sun can grant, the latter is not for Sun
to decide.

> If you dislike Java so much, you're free to go to the Mono camp and start
> chasing the MSFT train....

No, I like Java, so I won't be switching camps. It is possible
to be disappointed with Sun's management of the platform without disliking the
language. I dare say that there would be no business interest for
companies to get involed with projects like this one if everything was
peachy, and if Java wouldn't dearly need better leadership.

> Thanks to the Sun "business interests", Microsoft wasn't succesfull in
> "derailing" java and polluting it with Win32 api calls and all that crap,
> like they originally intended to do with J++....

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but J# (what J++ is called now),
still exists. With Sun's blessing, since the Microsoft settlement. It
also includes all that Win32 specific mess. You can download your 'free'
copy of Visual Studio Express 2005 for J# from Microsoft.

cheers,
dalibor topic