harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] Acceptance of HARMONY-39 : Contribution of beans, regex and math class library code
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:39:40 GMT
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:17:26PM +0100, Chris Gray wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:53, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
> > But alas, Sun currently sees other implementations as a threat to its
> > business model as a proprietary Java vendor, so one has to deal with
> > such things until they stop having a business interest in being a
> > proprietary Java vendor (yeah, right), or go bust (yeah, right), or
> > actually makes true on the 'participation age' and 'JDK community' talk
> > (yeah, right).
>
> Yeah, right +1 :-0
>
> There are quite a few people within Sun who think that what we (Harmony,
> Kaffe, SableVM, Wonka, ...) are doing is cool - well, I've met a couple
> anyway. But once things start to get "official", you're talking to another
> brick in the wall ...

Unfortunately, the bright engineering people at Sun aren't the ones that
run the Java show.

Java is so depressingly backwards. We're solving problems over and
over again that would not be problems in the first place if Java was
managed competently, by people who have a clue about involving
communities, and placed the platform before their business interests.

cheers,
dalibor topic