harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Require compiler options that allow partial 5.0 language features
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:23:27 GMT
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:35:06AM +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> As discussed on the list, there is a compiler option in the 5.0
> compilers we use that allows source code containing a subset of Java 5.0
> language features to be compiled into 1.4 compatible class files.
> Since this is quite a significant change I'd like to get a vote on
> whether the project should make this compiler option a necessity for our
> code.

Good call.

> The positive outcome of this is that we can develop APIs that rely on
> those 5.0 language features, and run the resulting code on existing
> 1.4-compatible VMs.
> The downside is that we are using an undocumented compiler feature on
> the reference implementation (it is supported on the Eclipse compiler).

Perhaps if enough projects use it it becomes documented :-)

> [ ] +1 - Yes, change the build scripts to compile 5.0 code to 1.4 target
> [ ]  0 - I don't care
> [ ] -1 - No, don't change the compiler options (please state why)

+0 (I think it is a good idea but since I am not working on this stuff I
feel my vote shouldn't really "count", and since I'm on the PPMC my vote
might otherwise be considered "binding", whereas the opinions of others
are way more important)

View raw message