harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Require compiler options that allow partial 5.0 language features
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:23:27 GMT
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 10:35:06AM +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> As discussed on the list, there is a compiler option in the 5.0
> compilers we use that allows source code containing a subset of Java 5.0
> language features to be compiled into 1.4 compatible class files.
>
> Since this is quite a significant change I'd like to get a vote on
> whether the project should make this compiler option a necessity for our
> code.

Good call.

> The positive outcome of this is that we can develop APIs that rely on
> those 5.0 language features, and run the resulting code on existing
> 1.4-compatible VMs.
>
> The downside is that we are using an undocumented compiler feature on
> the reference implementation (it is supported on the Eclipse compiler).

Perhaps if enough projects use it it becomes documented :-)

> [ ] +1 - Yes, change the build scripts to compile 5.0 code to 1.4 target
> [ ]  0 - I don't care
> [ ] -1 - No, don't change the compiler options (please state why)

+0 (I think it is a good idea but since I am not working on this stuff I
feel my vote shouldn't really "count", and since I'm on the PPMC my vote
might otherwise be considered "binding", whereas the opinions of others
are way more important)

- LSD